Wednesday, June 29, 2016

About Me

I am an administrator for a Chinese language program focused on teaching (mainly) oral and listening skills to K12 schools and community members (in non-credit classes). My program is at the University, but we teach undergrads very rarely. Still, this allows me the opportunity to work with professors and researchers who are studying new and better ways to teach languages.

My world language background is in Spanish. I studied for 3 years in high school, 2 years in college, and then married into a Spanish speaking family, which led to both an increase in travel to Spanish language environments and the opportunity to raise my daughter with native speakers.

In the meantime, I had other travel opportunities and travel abroad study opportunities and studied polite phrases for French, German, Flemish, and Italian. Not much, but I already had an ear for the Romantic and Germanic languages.

In 2009, I began with the Confucius Institute, but with a focus on program management and marketing. I grew up listening to my dad’s parents speaking “kitchen Cantonese” (language that was mostly family and food based), so I knew what I thought was some Chinese. It was -- but not Mandarin Chinese. So, I was first exposed to input in Mandarin in 2009. Since then, I’ve traveled to China quite often, and I work with a Chinese staff, so my input opportunities are great. After 7 years, I’m just about to begin my output phase.

With all that in mind, I began this blog to gather my learnings on my journey to gain new language skills and my learnings on teaching World Languages. Now I am working with Professional Development for my Institute, so I also plan to use this blog as a reflection space and to ferment ideas that I will then share in Professional Development sessions.

Thanks for joining me on my journey!